Chickpea, butterbean & vegetable curry
Making up a recipes everyday is something that I really enjoy. Yesterday I made the most amazing curry with the ingredients that I had available in the house. I wanted to share with you this amazing recipes as my friends love it and often ask for it. One important step in this recipe is Asafoetida - this seasoning is an essential in any curry recipe (and it tastes great on Aubergine steak too!)
This curry is full of colour and full of flavour!
Chickpea, butterbean and vegetable curry
1 tin organic chickpeas, drained
1 tin of butterbeans, drained
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped into 0.5 cm slices
1 aubergine, chopped into medium size cubes
1 courgette, chopped into medium size cubes
2 garlic cloves
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
(You can use just about any vegetables here!)
200 g quinoa
1 vegetable stock cube
Chopped coriander to serve
1tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1. Cook quinoa as per instructions but stir in the vegetable stock cube and 1 tsp of turmeric into the water.
2. In a large pan heat up the coconut oil in, add 1/2 tsp of asafoetida, fry for up to a minute, crush the garlic into the pan and fry until golden.
3. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Chop the aubergine, courgette and pepper into medium size cubes/slices (2cm).
5. Add the chopped vegetables to the pan, add half a cup of water.
6. Add 1 tsp turmeric, paprika, chilli powder and garam masala, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add the chickpeas, butterbeans and chopped tomatoes and 1/4 tsp of salt, stir and cover, cook for a further 15-20 minutes (until the vegetables are soft).
8. Taste and add more salt to taste if required.
9. Serve curry over quinoa with chopped coriander on top.
Macros without quinoa:
Macros with quinoa:
Served with 120g of cooked turmeric quinoa